Sunday, March 16, 2014

Focal Point

After a person suffers from an injury to their back or legs or undergoes a surgery to one of these parts, it is my job as a Physical Therapist to help them return to a normal walking pattern.  So often, even after all their strength has been regained, mobility restored, and pain resolved, they continue to limp.  Especially those who have had chronic pain.  After what has sometimes been years of pain and walking with an antalgic, painful gait the habit is so strong that their entire carriage has shifted to adapt to the pain.  I then tell them to focus on a fixed point on a wall 15-20 feet ahead and walk again.  This time the head is held high, the limp goes away, and the path is straight!  

Sometimes even believers painfully limp along in the wake of year after year of unforeseen hardships and tragedies, missing out on the opportunity for joy.  I found myself in this position not long ago after a number of years of challenging medical problems amongst myself, my husband and both our sons while also walking through a long series of other personal difficulties and tragedies.  While I had faith in God's ability to provide healing for my husband, I felt very unsure as to whether He would say, "yes" to us.  I had lost sight of Jesus as my focal point.

     "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, 
     let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us,                           fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. 
For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, 
and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 
Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, 
so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."
Hebrews 12: 1-3

When I keep my eyes focused on Jesus he shores up the painful limping I have incorporated into my life, helps me remove the things that are tripping up my legs, and puts me back on a straight path.  


Trust in the Lord with all your heart 
and lean not on your own understanding; 
in all your ways submit to him, 
and he will make your paths straight.

Proverbs 3:5-6

Shifting my focus away from the pains and difficulties I have been through and/or are going through back to the cross keeps me in line with the heart of God and His will for my life.  He guides my steps  so that I can "run and not grow weary, walk and not grow faint," soaring with renewed strength on wings like eagles.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think