Saturday, October 8, 2011

Living with Regrets

My grandmother just entered a hospice tonight and is not expected to make it much more than a couple of days.  My flight to Oregon to see her leaves early this morning.  I want to sit and hold her hand even if she doesn't know me and is barely aware of my presence.

My regret is that I didn't go a couple of years ago when she would still know me.  I should have found a way to take my kids and go see her.  They needed to know their great grandma.  We all need that family connection, especially since her oldest son--my dad-- died so young.  I would think I was too busy, couldn't afford it, etc.  Blah blah blah.  Now she is almost gone and my kids never knew her.

Don't hold back love.  Give and give and give.

I wish I had spent a little more  down time with my mom.  So much of my time was spent caring for her that I didn't have much time for just visiting, playing games, watching movies.  I also should have brought her more fresh flowers.  We women love our flowers.

Don't get me wrong, I am not wallowing in self-pity or guilt, just expressing the "I wish-es" I am going through right now.

"Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead,  I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."  Phillipians 3:13b-14

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think