Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Wringing Out The Sponge

Recently a good friend appropriately chastised me about the way I handle, or don't handle, stress. Water just doesn't roll off this back. I'll likely never be accused of being laid back! A few days later he said he spent the weekend thinking about it and realized that it is people like me who soak up that water that rolled off another's back. Hmmmm. Something to think about. But still, I need to learn to let go of that water I soaked up. I'm thinking I need to wring out that sponge of a heart and give it all up to God without trying to take any of it back. 

 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”  Matthew 11:28-30 

HIS burden is LIGHT; so why have I been so weighted down? I must be carrying another's burdens. Does The Deceiver taunt me, knowing that I will gladly carry burdens to the point of breaking down my health, rendering me useless for God's work? Or does Satan even have to work at it; it is my nature to hang on to things--pain, hurts, grudges, bitterness. In my flesh I am helpless to break this stranglehold.

 "I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt so that you would no longer be slaves to the Egyptians; I broke the bars of your yoke and enabled you to walk with heads held high."  Leviticus 26:13

Oh wow! God already handled this a long, long time ago! He already broke the bars of the yoke I've been carrying. I choose to carry it around, even though the shackles no longer hold it to my head and shoulders. No wonder my neck and arms are so sore.

Last night I unburdened my heart to God, lifting up to Him all the people I could think of suffering with pain and chronic disease. Yes, even praying for myself and especially for my husband Steve. So it's okay for me to hurt with people, empathize, as long as I turn around and hand it all over to God. This morning I woke up happy, rested despite less sleep, and at peace. I have found a new ministry in praying for the saints in pain. And God has given me rest.













No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think